During your time in high school you can participate in many experiential learning programs in Halton.
Co-op allows students to experience a career while gaining hands-on opportunities and developing employability and leadership skills.
How does the program work? Students:
- are timetabled for a two period block as they are earning two (2) credits or a four period block and they can earn four (4) credits
- spend the first two weeks of the semester completing pre-placement work in high school with the co-op teache
- complete an interview with the potential placement supervisor
- begin their placement and work in order to accumulate the necessary hours and meet the key learnings as set out on their Personalized Placement Learning Plan
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
The Specialist High Skills Major is a program that gives students a focus in their senior high school years that leads to all post-secondary destinations (apprenticeship, college, university, and work). A student must take 2 Grade 11 and 2 Grade 12 courses in a specialized area, and a co-operative education course. It also involves contextualized units in Math and English where the focus is in the specific sector.
- Agriculture SHSM - Acton HS
Information Communication Technology SHSM - Acton HS
For all other SHSM program in Halton - check out the Halton Pathways website.
Last Updated: November 18, 2016